New club member from the United States

For all new members to tell us all about yourself. Welcome.
Danny Kurttila

New club member from the United States

Post by Danny Kurttila » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Hello to you all. I just joined your club and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Danny Kurttila and I'm a hardcore Esocid fan from central Wyoming, in United States. I apologize if my post is hard to follow as we in the US have a different version of English compared to what is written and spoken in the United Kingdom.
My father and grandfather were serious pike anglers, and some of my earliest angling memories were being in the boat while they cast large spoons and Rapalas for pike. I was considered too young to be allowed to participate, and by the time I was "old" enough, we had moved away from Minnesota. I really enjoy pike fishing, especially bigger pike, but my passion is angling for muskellunge and tiger (hybrid) muskies. My largest pike to date is 109.22 cm that I caught and released ice fishing here in Wyoming. I've only captured 3 pike 101.6 cm or larger, with two of them coming from the same reservoir here in Wyoming. We only have one pike fishery here in Wyoming and it is a five hour drive from where I live. Due to a serious health issue, I don't get to fish nearly as much as I would like to. I have a bucket list of fish I'd like to catch and near the top are a decent European pike, and the two new species found in Italy, southern pike Esox cisalpinus, and France's Aquitain pike Esox aquitanus?. It is my hope that some of you might be familiar with the two new species and might be able to provide information on angling for them.
If any of the anglers in the club have an interest in muskellunge, hybrid muskies, or chain pickerel, I have a decent amount of knowledge in regards to angling for these species. I'm almost exclusively a lure angler, although I do use baitfish in my ice angling. I primarily wade fish or shore fish, but will fish from my friend's boats, when I am invited to do so. From what I have been able to read, it appears that many anglers in Europe and the United Kingdom fish primarily with live or deadbaits, when it comes to pike. I have little knowledge on these techniques, so I am interested in reading more about them in the club magazine.
I'm hoping to make a pike ice fishing trip next week. Best of luck to you all, and hope to hear from some of you in the future.

Jason Skilton

Re: New club member from the United States

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 am

Welcome to the PAC Danny, it is always nice to heard from other pike anglers from around the globe! 8-)
PAC14 Press Officer

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:11 am

Welcome to the PAC Danny

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:04 pm

Welcome Danny, how about an article for Pikelines? I'm sure many of us would be interested to hear how you go about catching Pike in the states.

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Michael Hastings wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:04 pm
Welcome Danny, how about an article for Pikelines? I'm sure many of us would be interested to hear how you go about catching Pike in the states.
That's a grand idea! 8-)
PAC14 Press Officer

Danny Kurttila

Post by Danny Kurttila » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:43 pm

Sirs;
I will try to get something written up soon. I've spent the last two days getting a new chemotherapy, so my thinking is not particularly clear. Thank you for your interest in US pike fishing, although I don't consider myself to be a great pike fisherman. Danny

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:12 pm

I hope you're feeling better soon Danny!

john currie

Post by john currie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:29 pm

Welcome Danny.I hope all improves with your health and you get to cross off everything on your bucket list.

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:37 am

Ditto, I hope you feel better soon Danny.
PAC14 Press Officer