Kebab Rig

If you are new to piking ask for advice here.
TrevorPeddle1985

Kebab Rig

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi guys, what is the general concensus around the kebab rig and the plastic pins in the Fox product and similar? I see that Mick Brown invented or endorsed it or both but is there a better way to do it?

Michael Hastings

Re: Kebab Rig

Post by Michael Hastings » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:51 pm

I think the kebab rig was invented to provide a commercial opportunity for MB's sponsors at the time...
Just my opinion, MB is a top bloke!

TrevorPeddle1985

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks Michael, are the pins safe, recommended or frowned upon due to possible injestion by the fish?
Trevor

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:38 am

TrevorPeddle1985 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 pm
Thanks Michael, are the pins safe, recommended or frowned upon due to possible injestion by the fish?
Trevor
Like Mick said it was developed for the Fox market, the needle was quite robust, but I personnally won't use it. Might have use some thing like a hair rig made out of wire though.

I canc't for the life of me think of a situation where I would use it though.

TrevorPeddle1985

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks Jason, I liked the idea when I looked at it, single treble, similar to hair rigs that I am used to but with a pin of course, but I am a newbie. I joined the PAC for a reason, to learn and make use of the years of experience of others to avoid making bad decisions.

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Trevor I'm not sure about the pin thing because I've never used one. I'm sure MB would not have put his name to something that was unsafe though. I think the point of the kebab is the small chunks of bait leak loads of oil and juices which the Pike can detect. However, from personal experience, i know Pike have no trouble finding half a mackerel chucked into a couple of hundred acres of murky water. I'd say the kebab rig is unnecessary.

Toby Cole

Post by Toby Cole » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:14 pm

1 situation where it might be useful is if you are prebaiting with small chunks of fish and want to use the same size bait on the hook. I would probably just make a hair rig using the wire though rather than use the pins.

TrevorPeddle1985

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks Michael and Thanks Toby, I am yet to really get going with dead baiting so do not want to run before I can walk. I have been using my spare few hours here and there to lure fish thus far, this my first season, and what fun it has been catching jacks. I will soon be turning my attention to a different water presenting larger than I am used to chunks of sea fish on crazy braid with big reels and trebles I used to laugh at. And boy am I looking forward to it!

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:00 am

TrevorPeddle1985 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:15 am
Thanks Michael and Thanks Toby, I am yet to really get going with dead baiting so do not want to run before I can walk. I have been using my spare few hours here and there to lure fish thus far, this my first season, and what fun it has been catching jacks. I will soon be turning my attention to a different water presenting larger than I am used to chunks of sea fish on crazy braid with big reels and trebles I used to laugh at. And boy am I looking forward to it!

Get out and give it a go :D

JamesCain

Post by JamesCain » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:46 pm

Hi all quite new to pike fishing so been hitting u tube hard. Got to say have tried it and really does work. Best so far 7lb pike on float with kebab.We my son and me have had a few now on the kebab. And it does so far any way always hook in the scissors. Certainly can’t see it being a problem having that extra tool in the box.