Landing net and matt

If you are new to piking ask for advice here.
PaulAshworth3005

Landing net and matt

Post by PaulAshworth3005 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:30 am

Hello , I'm gonna return to piking on the lanky. Anybody reccomend a decent landing net and matt. Something good for the job and handy to carry.

Steve Lindsell2522

Re: Landing net and matt

Post by Steve Lindsell2522 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:32 am

Hi Paul,
As an occasional Piker I decided to get a Pike specific net so I went for the Korum Snapper folding version. So heavy! And requires maintenance. After 2 days and one 18lb'er it needs taking apart and a part replacing. (The join at the far end of the net if you follow!
I was so disappointed in this that I bought Eddie Turners 42" net with a rubberised net. I hope that this will prevent the issue I had with a recent pike that spun in the net and had to be untangled before unhooking. To be fair took me longer to type this that achieve the untangling! But it could have been worse. I've only received it this week so first outing is this weekend.
As for Mats I have a large collection including a large Aqua one but prefer to use a Fox one with sides. A sort of pop up one...... I see they're producing a longer version more designed for Pike. I'll be having a look at one of those soon.
I'll watch for what you more experienced anglers use!
Cheers
Steve

Jason Skilton

Re: Landing net and matt

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:10 am

If I had to buy new, I'd must likely get a drennan extendable handles, a lureweave mesh from Dave Lumb and the find the arms and spreader block somewhere.

I honestly don't think there is a decent pike net out there. Most have handles to short and mesh to deep.

Re Mat, I use a catfish mat ;-)