Alarms and indicators

If you are new to piking ask for advice here.
TrevorPeddle1985

Alarms and indicators

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:48 am

I know I am opening up a can of worms with this one but I will be deadbaiting in the winter for the first time and have read so much about indicators and alarms etc and there are many different views if course. I will be using a maximum of 2 rods on lakes at short distance. Therefore I can just go with plain rear drop off indicators to begin with but if I am buying things it would be good to maximise my spending and not buy twice or more. I do fish for other species but coming from match fishing I don’t have existing alarms etc. So the main questions, apart from general discussion are - 1) Front alarms and rear drop off indicators or just rear drop off alarms? 2) if rear drop off alarms which ones, Billy’s get a lot of positives as do the newer ET but there a few options out there. 3) There is also the question of rod rests vs pods and given that I will be fishing at short distances I will be pointing directly at one of the baits at least but is indication severely hampered with a pod over separate rests given what I will be doing?

Toby Cole

Re: Alarms and indicators

Post by Toby Cole » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:42 pm

If you are ledgering then i think a rear drop off alarm is better as once it goes off you have to check the rod even if its just to reset the alarm whereas with a front alarm you may only get a couple of bleeps and not know a pike has taken the bait. If you are going to use a front alarm i would suggest one that works through vibration like a delkim rather than a roller wheel as the line can skip over the wheel and not register a take.
Rear alarms i can recommend the billys as i have been using these for a few years now and have no complaints.
With regard to banksticks and pods i would always go for banksticks as you want the rod pointing directly at the bait, also it is a lot easier to set up backbiters on single sticks rather than pods.

TrevorPeddle1985

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks Toby much appreciated. I will probably be starting with one rod so bank sticks and one rear alarm would be a good start

Toby Cole

Post by Toby Cole » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:23 pm

If you are only using 1 rod have you thought about using a float? If you are going to the convention on the 31st then both eddie turner and billys backbiters will have a stall there selling the alarms so you could have a look at them, you may even get them a bit cheaper or there may be some on the second hand stall

olliesheridan

Post by olliesheridan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:21 pm

I'd agree with the points that Toby's made here, Billy's Backbiters are excellent and will scream until you turn them off!

I also don't like to use pods for my Pike fishing for the same reasons as Toby.

For banksticks, I use Gardner Twistiks which work really well with Billy's BB's. Smaller (in thickness) diameter banksticks will need you to fine tune the Billy's to fit, whereas on the Gardner Twistiks they fit nicely without needing any adjustment. These banksticks also have a nice feature which is a "T Bar" that helps screw the sticks into the bank which is a nice to have on those cold mornings when the ground is rock hard.

I hope that helps! Cheers, Ollie
---
Ollie Sheridan, Walton PAC Region 15

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:54 pm

The best bite indicator of all is a humble float!
I've got rear alarms (Billy's) and front alarms (Microns), the difference is minimal. If you are looking at the water and not hidden beneath a brolly you will often see signs of interest before the alarm registers.

olliesheridan

Post by olliesheridan » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Fair comment! You can't beat the excitement of the float going under :D
---
Ollie Sheridan, Walton PAC Region 15

TrevorPeddle1985

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I certainly have some floats to fish with too.
Thanks Ollie for the Twistik steer, I am assuming the 2ft ones will be ok giving what I am doing, and the banks I will be on etc, and they extend to almost 4ft.

I am struggling to make the convention, work travel and anniversary not helping!

TrevorPeddle1985

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:05 pm

In terms of actual front and rear rests any recommendations? I see that John Roberts windy front rest gets praise.

Toby Cole

Post by Toby Cole » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:05 pm

The John Roberts or the Fox frontrunner on the front and i have the solar locking rests on the back