Deadbaits

If you are new to piking ask for advice here.
TrevorPeddle1985

Deadbaits

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:52 am

Hi guys, me again, work has kept me from the bank thus far but my mind is certainly fishing, my Billys Backbiters should be here today so I will be chomping at the bit, not the bait.

I have purchased some fresh Mackerel, cut it in half and frozen them in packs of 3 fish (6 halves). First question is how many baits are needed for a typical 5 hour + session, I know it will vary on activity etc, I will be getting some different baits too but was after a rough guide.

I have not being able to source the made for pike fishing frozen baits like the pike packs etc or a decent fishmonger locally, i will try further afield. Has anyone used the delivery services for such baits, they come frozen in polystyrene boxes and ice but will need to be re-frozen when they arrive. Its appealing as easy but wanted to get the view of the experts here?

Thanks
Trev

Jason Skilton

Re: Deadbaits

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am

How long is a piece of string :lol: ....I take a cooler bag full or mix baits every time I go....they then go back into the freezer

TrevorPeddle1985

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks Jason

Toby Cole

Post by Toby Cole » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:10 pm

For deadbaits delivered you could try online baits or luce baits from the tackle shop both good companies to order bait from. Your local tackle shop should have some deadbaits in a freezer. Failin that there is always the supermarket for sea fish

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Hi Trevor, For what it's worth...
I tend to use a different type of deadbait on each rod, sometimes Pike will show an apparent preference, some baits will be taken more often than others and this varies from water to water. Everyone has their favourites, mine at the moment are Bluey, Lamprey and Herring. I use Smelt a lot too but on one particular water it's next to useless. Some baits I change every couple of hours, Smelt for example. Whereas an oily bait like Bluey I may only change once a day if it doesn't get eaten. All the best

TrevorPeddle1985

Post by TrevorPeddle1985 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks Toby, Thanks Michael, I found a local shop I never knew was there and they have a chest freezer full of deadbaits!
I also managed to get out for a couple of hours lure fishing and caught several jacks so all is well in the world! Thanks again.