Drop Back Indicators vs Front Alarms only Approach

Discuss general pike fishing topics here.
Valentine Tomin

Drop Back Indicators vs Front Alarms only Approach

Post by Valentine Tomin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:36 pm

I was interested to see the Delkim website promoting their heavy bobbin set up for pike. As someone with a front (Delkims) and back (Billys) 'belt and braces' approach I was wondering if a front only approach with the right set up will suffice! (...it will certainly help with the tweaking of deads as a 3 rod; 6 alarm set up, makes each round of tweaks seem to take forever!)

Be useful to hear opinions?

Jason Skilton

Re: Drop Back Indicators vs Front Alarms only Approach

Post by Jason Skilton » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:56 am

Delkim with a rear drop off indicator....... ;)

Drop off bite alarm and lose the Delkim :lol:

I think two alarms are excessive tbh.
PAC14 Press Officer

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm

Surely one alarm is enough?
As a boat angler I manage without any most of the time.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:04 pm

I would use the Delkims with a bobbin to show drop-backs, although drop-backs are rare if you are using leads and not freelining.

David Holden

Post by David Holden » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 am

You won't get a drop back with a running lead unless the lead moves due to tangling which is what my 'Eureka' article tried to show. Even if the pike swims towards us, it will show as a positive take with a running lead

John Bull

Post by John Bull » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Delkim up front and Billy’s on the rear, as they both work in different ways it’s a lot more fall proof way of fishing. I can honestly say my Delkim sounds 99% of the time before my Billys, proof that it is a far more sensitive way to fish. There are still far too many pike being deep hooked possibly as a result of only using rear drop offs ?

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:47 am

If the drop back indicator is set up correctly with a running rig then there should be no issue with deep hooking.
PAC14 Press Officer

David Holden

Post by David Holden » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 am

Sorry Jason I beg to differ, which is what I tried to explain in my 'Eureka' article a few mags back. With a running lead there is a hemisphere in which a fish can take a bait without indication being given until it moves away. There is no guarantee that will move in any particular direction. I've had pike that have simply lifted the float and not moved beyond. This would not have shown on a run rig. By using a bobbin rather than a drop off and a few fixed SSG close to the bait, as soon as the bait is picked up an indication is given, which I regard as better bite detection, so I opt for a bobbin with front alarm; this detects pick ups, runs and drop backs. Furthermore, on striking, we are in direct contact without having to move the ledger first thus avoiding cushioning the strike

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Last season I tried an experiment at a noddy pond that contains pike up to twenty pounds. I decided to strike at the earliest sign of a run. I used two rods, one with a suspender rig with one large single hook through the back of 5" roach deadbaits, the other a running lead rig with a trace with a single hook in the tail root and treble in the flank of 6" sardines.
I had 8 runs, 3 on roach and 5 on sardines, and striking as soon as I was sure of a run, I missed them all. Never pricked a fish.
Knowing when to strike a pike is the second hardest thing in pike fishing. The hardest thing is getting a run in the first place.
Any pike angler who says they have never deep hooked a pike either has not been fishing very long or is a liar. It is inevitable eventually.
I have deep hooked pike, but have never left a hook in one. I have, however, taken many other anglers hooks out of pike. One time I took 3 different hooks out of one FOUR POUND pike from the same noddy pond that I did the experiment in.
Years ago some people tried instant strike rigs that usually involved baits with multiple hooks down each flank. I cannot imagine any self respecting pike in this day and age going anywhere near such a meal.
You just have to use your judgement and experience when striking to minimise deep hooking.