Aquitanian pike of France

Discuss general pike fishing topics here.
Danny Kurttila

Aquitanian pike of France

Post by Danny Kurttila » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:02 pm

Sirs;
Looking for information on Aquitanian (French) pike. Anyone have suggestions on lures, locations, waterbodies, guides? Would like to catch at least one and size isn't too important. Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice or contacts. Danny

JohnLucas1316

Re: Aquitanian pike of France

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:54 am

Not much known about them it would seem, 'discovered', in 2014 . They spawn a month earlier than Northern Pike apparently. Would suggest that anything that works for Northern Pike would work for Aquitanian.
Most other types of pike are pictured on page 82 of 'Pike and the Pike Angler' by Fred Buller'.

john currie

Post by john currie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:11 pm

I have asked some French connections,pardon the pun, and as John suggests it's a Pike and all methods that normally work will work for the new kid on the block!

Danny Kurttila

Post by Danny Kurttila » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:07 am

Thank you for the replies, can anyone point me in the direction of a guide or bait shop with knowledge of these pike as far as a small public water with a decent population of these pike? Or a guide who targets these fish, that could put me on one? Thanks again.

Danny Kurttila

Post by Danny Kurttila » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:58 pm

Mr. Currey;
Do any of your connections in France perhaps guide for Aquitaine pike? I'd like to set up a trip around the 6th or 7th of May. I can't seem to get much in the way of responses from French online sources. This will likely be my only chance to fish for them, and I'd really like to catch and release one while I still am able. Thank you for your time and best of luck fishing. Sincerely Danny Kurttila Riverton, Wyoming USA.

Danny Kurttila

Post by Danny Kurttila » Fri May 10, 2019 11:36 am

Sirs;
Made the trip to Italy and France. Caught one Southern pike Esox cisalpinus, one Aquitane pike Esox aquitane, and three pike Esox lucius up to 41" and well over 20 pounds. With the Southern and Aquitane I've completed my bucket list goal of catching every species and subspecies of Esocid including the pike muskie hybrid. With my bone cancer I didn't think I would be able to achieve my goal. For a hot tip Italy's bigger lakes have some huge pike in them. Best of luck fishing everyone.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:50 am

That is a fantastic achievement Danny. Could you share any of your experience or photos in Pikelines?
I am guessing that you are the first angler ever to catch every type of pike.

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon May 13, 2019 7:35 am

Danny Kurttila wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:36 am
Sirs;
Made the trip to Italy and France. Caught one Southern pike Esox cisalpinus, one Aquitane pike Esox aquitane, and three pike Esox lucius up to 41" and well over 20 pounds. With the Southern and Aquitane I've completed my bucket list goal of catching every species and subspecies of Esocid including the pike muskie hybrid. With my bone cancer I didn't think I would be able to achieve my goal. For a hot tip Italy's bigger lakes have some huge pike in them. Best of luck fishing everyone.
Very well done Danny! 8-)
PAC14 Press Officer

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Sat May 18, 2019 12:34 pm

Danny Kurttila wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:36 am
Sirs;
Well done!

Joe Birch

Post by Joe Birch » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:48 pm

JohnLucas1316 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:50 am
That is a fantastic achievement Danny. Could you share any of your experience or photos in Pikelines?
I am guessing that you are the first angler ever to catch every type of pike.
Yeah, would definitely like to read about that. What an achievement !!!