making traces

Discuss general pike fishing topics here.
JohnLucas1316

making traces

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:57 pm

I have always been a twister when it comes to making traces. I don't like crimps, rig tubing or any of that nonsense.
My deadbait traces have one large single at the top to go in the tail root of the bait, and a treble at the bottom of an appropriate size nicked into the flank of the bait.
About thirty years ago through Pikelines, I asked other anglers how they made up traces without the risk of the top hook slipping when striking or playing a fish. This could fray and brake a trace. Several anglers replied that they liked the trace to slip through the top hook because it meant more fish hooked. I like the top hook to be solid, and a few people replied that they attached the bottom treble with a short piece of trace wire twisted round the bend of the top single hook. I have made traces like this ever since, but although I have never had a trace fail, I am not really happy with it.
What I would like is a large single hook with an eye on the outside of the bend that the trace wire could be passed through and twisted. I do not know why such a hook does not exist. Surely carp anglers would like a hook like this for hair rigs? No more knotless knots to tie.
The wonderfully crafted old Jardine snap tackle rigs had a top treble with a little eye on the shank for the trace wire to pass through. I asked a well known British hook maker if they could make some hooks to my specification and was told there would be no demand.
A compromise would be a big single hook with a completely closed eye, so that both pieces of trace wire could be twisted through the eye, and the bottom piece coiled round the hook shank down to the bottom treble. But these hooks don't exist either. Here is a rough drawing of what i would like.
Attachments
IMG_5533.jpg
IMG_5533.jpg (54.41 KiB) Viewed 820 times

Jason Skilton

Re: making traces

Post by Jason Skilton » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:47 pm

Twists look a tad loose ;)

For the last two season and this one I use a knotless knot for the two trebles and twist the top swivel

After reading in Pikelines and speaking with Rich Gosling I'll be looking at singles (ESP raptors) and whipping a smaller single hook onto the shank of the top single to make a double.

I have been using VB doubles for a few years and prefer them to trebles, but alas they are no longer produced.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:14 pm

None of my traces have been tested much so far this season. Until today, I had caught two pike in eight fishing trips. Today I caught two tiny pike, doubling my total for the season so far.
That's two 5lb pike and two 2lb pike in total from 3 different rivers, 2 different gravel pits and 1 trout water, nine fishing trips in all.
Has anyone else had such a terrible start to the season?

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:21 pm

John I make that six different waters? For what it's worth I tend to stick to a just couple of waters each season, with the occasional 'away day'. Works for me and this year has been :D :D

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:41 am

I average a couple of fish a session, and like Sir Michael of Hastings, I do limit the waters I fish for pike. Sadly not have anything above 14lb so far :(

PhilWilkinson7021

Post by PhilWilkinson7021 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:35 pm

John I use a similar rig to you,
I use a Sakuma Mini Manta size 2 hook through the live-bait around the Dorsal area and a treble through the baits lip.
One way I have done this is to twist the treble onto the end of the trace (For a dead-bait I knotless knot the treble and attach a poly ball to the hair), then back to back a size 2 and size 6 Mini manta hook which is then tied with a knotless knot and on the end I twist a swivel.
For a dead-bait I place the single in the baits tail root.
Always remember it's called Fishing not Catching. :lol:

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 am

Interesting.
I still want some big singles with an eye on the outside of the bend.

PhilWilkinson7021

Post by PhilWilkinson7021 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:23 pm

I saw a picture on Facebook that had a small swivel slipped over the point of the hook and then tied to the hook with a knotless knot.
Always remember it's called Fishing not Catching. :lol:

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Again, interesting.
I still want some big singles with an eye on the outside of the bend.

NickGordon

Post by NickGordon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:48 pm

I have had a pretty quiet season so far, retrying my local river for one pike so far.

The tip about knotless knotting the hooks on hadn't occurred to me, it will definitely make my upper single hook more secure!
It should also make the treble at the end safer, but I can actually knot that on with a Uni or blood knot which with wire I have never had slip.