algal blooms

Discuss general pike fishing topics here.
JohnLucas1316

algal blooms

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:22 pm

In a previous post, Eric suggested that algal blooms clog the gills of pike and cause mortality. Is there any evidence that this problem has caused more deaths than usual in recent years? Did last years red hot summer make matters worse?
The reason I ask is because the piking in my area seems to have reached an all time low. Other anglers I talk to on the bank agree that piking has got very hard.
We only seem to be able to catch small pike, and not many of them.

Jason Skilton

Re: algal blooms

Post by Jason Skilton » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Its been mentioned before in old scientific papers I believe. Doesn't just affect pike.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:54 pm

T'internet says that a lack of dissolved oxygen can kill big fish rather than little ones because little ones can get enough oxygen at the surface.
There must have been a lack of dissolved oxygen in many waters during last years hot summer, but I did not hear of fish kills.

john currie

Post by john currie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Hallo
It has been mentioned by fisheries scientists we are dealing with on prymnesium matters that blue green algae could be negatively effecting fishes lives and not from just clogging gills.I doubt investigations will ever go to far but it does look like the John nines centre will be looking into this in the near future.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 am

The lack of success this season is a bit worrying. It's not just that we are unimaginative cast out two deadbaits and wait type anglers. Better anglers than us are failing too, on stillwaters and rivers.
I hope this is just a 'blip' and nothing too sinister. I remember about five years ago catching a total of 7 pike for the whole season.
Some people have suggested bank lines are being used, but that would not account for bad results on all waters.

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:15 am

There has been a number of incidents that the EA have responded to across Anglian region and Essex that I know of.

The EA have at time has not enough equipment to manage all the incidents. One club that I'm a member of were fortunate to have guys who could build a venturi and a aerator because the local EA team needed to move equipment away from our water to help another.

No much has been publicised about this work on normal media channels, but the EA twitter and FB sites are full of these incident news items.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Is there any evidence that pike are more at risk from low dissolved oxygen levels then, say, carp or barbel? I am sure that if carp were affected last summer. we would all have heard about it.

Eric Edwards

Post by Eric Edwards » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:55 pm

I'm sure there will be some research somewhere on this, don't have a link though.
Let's not forget the effect of temperature, a higher temperature will increase a fish's oxygen demand so even if oxygen levels are high, they may not be high enough.
I've barely fished this winter due to a series of health issues (I'm better now) but friends generally are telling me they have really struggled.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 am

Glad that you are feeling better. I believe that historically, the third week in February is THE time to catch big pike. We have had a bit of cold weather now, and there is some colour in the rivers, so let's hope for better things before the season ends.