Natural England licences

Discuss general pike fishing topics here.
JohnLucas1316

Natural England licences

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:02 pm

In the last five years Natural England has issued licences to kill 170,000 wild birds or destroy their eggs and nests. Rare birds such as curlew, swifts, peregrine falcons and red kites have been killed as well as barn owls, blackbirds bluetits, and swans.
The reasons for granting these licenses include damage to crops, preventing bird strikes near airports and preventing contamination in food production.
Some birds had to be killed when unsafe structures in which they were nesting had to be destroyed to preserve public safety.
The most targeted species is the greylag goose. One single license permitted the destruction of 1,600 goose eggs in Buckinghamshire.
This information comes from a freedom of information request by my weekend newspaper.
What annoys me slightly is that the paper states that "Cormorants were targeted by more licences than any other bird, with more than 2000 issued to kill 12,033 birds". More licences were issued for cormorants than any other bird because the licence allows you to kill so few cormorants! When I had a licence to kill cormorants, I was allowed to kill one bird a month for four months of the year.
In the 5 years in which licences were issued to kill 12,033 cormorants; licences were issued to kill 67,586 greylag geese.
The newspaper gave no explanation as to why licenses were being granted to kill cormorants, so anyone reading the article would be left wondering, unaware of the damage that inland cormorants cause.

Jason Skilton

Re: Natural England licences

Post by Jason Skilton » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:03 am

Yet again man is to blame.......we simple have to control all other species for our own interests......

re the license the paper will always print half the true behind most stories....

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:13 am

You are right about newspapers telling half the story Jason.
Fridays Metro included a piece about Scottish Natural Heritage granting a licensed cull of cormorants and goosanders on the Tweed, until the end of May, following a 15,000 drop in salmon numbers in the last 5 years. The Tweed Commission chairman said, "it is distressing to see the birds hunting in flocks of up to 100"...
As always, the last word is given to the RSPB, who "voiced concern that other factors affecting salmon are not being considered."
If you can stand on the banks of the Tweed and see, with your own eyes, 100 cormorants and goosanders obviously feeding on salmon , why would you not accept the situation as fact???

It is a shame that the Metro did not explain to its readership that the cormorants in question are most likely the sinensis variant, freshwater birds that have only been in the UK since the 1980s...etc etc.

It's being so cheerful that keeps me going.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:56 pm

I read today that the group called 'Wild Justice', set up by Chris Packham and friends, are seeking a judicial review to challenge Natural England's 'general licence', on the grounds that it is unlawful under British and EU wildlife laws.
If Wild Justice is successful, Natural England would be forced to issue thousands of specific licences to allow the killing of vermin. Under Mr Gove, Natural England are already stretched to the limit, and would not be able to cope with this increased work load.

In 2013 the review led by DEFRA made the wrong decision by not adding inland cormorants to the general list. In the future, if Wild Justice get their way, there will not be a general list to add them to !

In other news, I believe the Wildlife Trust, and Canals and Rivers Trust are now advising the public not to feed ducks and other wildlife with bread, because it encourages rodents. People are being encouraged to feed lettuce, carrots and grains instead of bread. A lot of freshwater fish benefit from duck feeders bread, so this is more bad news.

It really is being so cheerful that keeps me going!

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Update

Chris Packham and Wild Justice have been partially successful in doing away with the General Licence.
Natural England have revoked some parts of the licence, meaning that it is now illegal to kill certain birds unless an individual license is applied for and granted.
Birds such as wood pigeons and crows that have historically been classed as vermin for years are now protected.

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:35 pm

The farming community is up in arms but in reality nothing will change.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:44 am

Natural England have announced that there will now be a review of the General Licence.
There may be an unexpected opportunity to try to get inland cormorants added to the Licence.
I hope the Angling Trust are ready.

Michael Hastings

Post by Michael Hastings » Thu May 02, 2019 10:32 pm

That would be a first...

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:39 am

There was some more 'selective reporting' from the BBC yesterday. Paul Martin was at a small trout fishery doing a piece about otters. He stated that 'otters don't just eat fish, they also eat small mammals.'
No mention of the fact that otters kill and eat birds, especially if they do not have enough fish to eat.
If I remember rightly, the late wildlife presenter Tony Soper had a finger missing from one of his hands, bitten off by an otter.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:28 am

Packham is under attack for suggesting that deer should be culled to protect ground nesting birds. It's always about protecting birds.
Would he ever suggest culling birds to protect fish? Double standards.