How to catch big pike.

Discuss general pike fishing topics here.
JohnLucas1316

How to catch big pike.

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am

Howdy folks.
I was given a copy of this book for Christmas, it is an extended reprint of the 1997 edition. Although it is a very informative and entertaining book, I was disappointed to see that the section on cormorants is still inaccurate. The book states that "Starved of food around our coast,cormorants have moved onto our rivers ,lakes and reservoirs..." This is simply not true. The cormorants that came inland in the early 1980s were the Chinese (Sinensis) variant, a freshwater bird that flew from mainland Europe to the UK following a population explosion caused by greater protection afforded by the Wildlife and Countryside act in 1981. Some of our native (Carbo) cormorants have come inland to join these Chinese cormorants, and there is now interbreeding between the two. Chinese cormorants had never existed in the UK before the 1980s, (confirmed for me by the RSPB Wildlife Team), and are overwhelmingly to blame for the massive decline in fish stocks and therefore angling in the UK. There is no fossil record for sinensis cormorants in mainland Europe, showing that they were most likely introduced there by Man, and therefore should be classed as an Alien Invasive Species in mainland Europe, and certainly in the UK. Is there any chance that after we become divorced from Europe we will be in control of our own wildlife, and something can be done about these destructive birds? If not, angling is doomed.

Mark Leathwood

Re: How to catch big pike.

Post by Mark Leathwood » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 pm

I've recently read this book and, on the whole, I thought it was pretty good. The part that really did alarm me was the advice given in relation to timing the strike at the onset of a run. The author seems to think it is possible to determine what the pike is doing with the bait according to the movement of the float and time the strike accordingly. Obviously he's caught a lot more big pike than I have but I'm really struggling to get my head around this. In the same section he discusses the use of very large deadbaits - and leaving runs for up to 30 seconds before striking. To my mind this is absolutely fraught with danger and I was quite shocked to see such advice in print. To be fair I enjoyed the book apart from this.
R.O. Cheshire Region

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Timing the strike is the second hardest thing in pike fishing. Hardest is locating a feeding pike in the first place.

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:10 am

JohnLucas1316 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 pm
Timing the strike is the second hardest thing in pike fishing. Hardest is locating a feeding pike in the first place.
Strike when you have a indication that the pike has the bait in its mouth...simple ;)

Sean Freeman

Post by Sean Freeman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:41 pm

I agree with Jason, the thought of losing a Pike or more doesn't bother me, I'd rather lose fish than deep hook a Pike, back in my early days of fishing I did once get a deeply hooked Pike which I did manage to unhook without damaging the fish but it spoiled my day, ever since I strike as soon as the indicator sounds or the float moves.

Sean.