SKB 'Sea Fury' sinking fly line

New patterns, beginners advice, or anything else about flyfishing for pike.
Mark Leathwood

SKB 'Sea Fury' sinking fly line

Post by Mark Leathwood » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:40 pm

I wasn't sure whether to put this under reviews / recommendations or here in the fly fishing section. In the I decided it would probably be of limited interest so it's here:

SKB 'Sea Fury' sinking fly line (WF8) - £34.99 + p&p

There are quite a number of speciality fly lines for fly fishing for pike but most of them are either floating or intermediate lines and are most suited to fishing the top 2 or 3 feet of the water column. I was looking for a line which would let me fish deeper and came across this line on EBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKB-Sea-Fury- ... XQVT9SyF9q

One very important detail missing from the advert is the line's sink rate. I sent a message to the seller to ask what it was and got no answer. Time passed and I looked at other products from Rio and Guideline, both of which were in the region of £60-£70 - which was more than I wanted to spend. In the end I decided to bite the bullet and order the SKB 'Sea Fury' as I could see from the photo in the add that the head was quite chunky - not like slim profile you would get on a Di7.

This line is only available as a WF8, but don't let that put you off. The short compact head feels a lot heavier than an 8 and I'm pretty sure it will easily load a 9 wt. rod. The important thing is that the head is heavy enough to carry a decent sized fly and it casts incredibly well. I'm using it on a Grey's Carnivore 8 wt. rod - which is considerably more powerful than two 8/9 wt. Airflo rods which I also own. The 'Sea Fury' loads the Carnivore rod perfectly, whereas my WF8 floating Rio Outbound Short doesn't load it anywhere near as well and is therefore not as easy to cast with as might be expected. I also have a Vision 'Big Daddy' intermediate which is rated 8/9, and that also doesn't load the Carnivore anywhere near as well as the 'Sea Fury'. Having said that both these lines are great on my 8/9 wt. Airflo rods. Sorry that's a bit long winded, but I felt I needed to give some context to stating my belief that the 'Sea Fury' would be okay on a 9 wt. fly rod.

I would describe the 'Sea Fury' as a medium sinking line. The line brings unweighted flies back at a very useful depth of 5 - 6 feet. Obviously weighted flies are going to go deeper than this. The head of the line is dark green and the running line is yellow in colour. I have used it from both bank and boat and cannot fault it in any way. I would have no hesitation in recommending it as a useful addition to the pike fly fisher's armoury.

SKB also offer the 'Sea Fury' in WF8 floating and intermediate, and they offer pike fly lines in different densities which they call 'Dog' fly lines in WF10. Based upon how good the 'Sea Fury' is, these may well be worthy of consideration.
R.O. Cheshire Region

Mark Leathwood

Re: SKB 'Sea Fury' sinking fly line

Post by Mark Leathwood » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:01 pm

A quick update on this; a friend has weighed this line and it is actually an 8 wt. sold a full size heavier. In other words it's actually a 9 wt.
R.O. Cheshire Region