Cheshire Region activities - December 2018

This is the place for Regional Organisers to post details of forthcoming regional meetings and events.
Mark Leathwood

Cheshire Region activities - December 2018

Post by Mark Leathwood » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:05 am

Dear All,

December dates for your diary:

Mon. 17th - Our monthly meeting at Owley Wood Club. This starts at 7.30pm and PAC's North West Liaison Officer Jon Neafcy will be giving us a talk on his angling year. Jon is a very accomplished big pike angler but his talk will also include his pursuit of other species during the last 12 months. To illustrate this he will also be bringing his barbel tackle and showing us how he goes about fishing for them. It’s some years now since I last fished for barbel and I’m sure things will have moved on a bit since then, so this should be really interesting.

Jon recently posted a poll on Facebook to try and identify and promote an inter-Regional fish-in for 2019. Judging by the response to date a venue in Scotland looks to be favourite, but Jon will tell us more about this on Monday evening.

As usual we will have a second hand tackle stall so please bring any fishing items you no longer need or use. Hopefully you’ll be able to sell them on and perhaps pick up a few bargains at the same time.

We will also have a raffle and any donations of items towards this are always very gratefully received. This is the primary means by which we raise money and, thanks to the generosity of our members, we are currently in a very healthy position financially. We are in need of a new projector and this is something I hope to be able to get for us in the near future. If anyone has any experience of current laptop type projectors I would appreciate advice on this as it’s not something I know anything about and my research to date hasn’t enabled me to make a decision I would feel confident in being ‘right’ for our needs.

Something else we plan to buy for the Region is some new trophies. Years ago we had trophies which were awarded annually for:

i. Biggest pike caught
ii. Biggest pike caught in Cheshire
iii. Biggest lure caught pike
iv. Cheshire Region ‘pike angler of the year’.

Invariably this meant that we had four different winners, which kept things interesting and sought to recognise members for different angling skills and accomplishments. Unfortunately, at some point in the past the trophies were not requested or returned at the end of the season and nobody now seems to know where they are, so we will be starting from scratch with some new awards which will be presented annually when we have our AGM in May. The winners will hold the trophies for the ensuing year but will be expected to return them in time for us to have them engraved for the following year’s recipients.

Trophies are expensive to buy and it is possible that you may know of an individual or business that might be willing to sponsor one of the new trophies. Please let me know if you can help with this.

Saturday 22nd - We have a fish-in arranged at Anglezarke Reservoir near Bolton. We have booked a 15 peg match length, which limits numbers as nobody wants to pike fish shoulder to shoulder with the next man (at least, I wouldn’t have thought so). When I originally posted details on Facebook I said that priority would be given to PAC members and to those who regularly attend and support our meetings. However, it then occurred to me that the idea of fishing a restricted match length would be of no appeal to anyone wanting to adopt a more mobile approach (that’s the lure and fly fishers amongst us) so I have asked the controlling club if anyone wishing to fish outside the confines of the match length can have an ordinary day ticket. I hope this will now cater for everybody. As a ‘thank you’ to our members and supporters we will be funding the cost of fishing from our funds. This venue recently produced a stunning 28 lb. pike for Jon Barber and, from what Barry has been able to ascertain, it is currently fishing well and producing some big pike.

I will be taking the names of those who wish to attend at Monday’s meeting but, if you cannot make the meeting and would like to fish Anglezarke please let me know and I’ll put your name down.

Barry has been working hard behind the scenes to arrange more fish-ins and he is keen that these should become a monthly event. It may be that doing this will generate the need for a fifth annual trophy. What do you think ?

Just to remind you, our meetings are always on the third Monday of the month so the remaining dates for this season are:

January: Monday 21st,
February: Monday 18th,
March: Monday 18th,
April: Monday 15th,
May: Monday 20th; AGM and presentation night.

Well, I hope I will see you all before Christmas but, if you cannot make either Monday’s meeting or next Saturday’s fish-in may I take this opportunity to wish you and your families a happy and peaceful Christmas and all the very best for 2019.

Mark
R.O. Cheshire Region