RSPB Hypocrisy

Discuss general pike fishing topics here.
JohnLucas1316

RSPB Hypocrisy

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 am

The RSPB are revising their policy to campaign against organised shoots of game birds. They are unhappy with what they see as the anti-conservation side of organised shoots; burning moorland, the use of lead shot (sounds familiar!), and the increase of predators due to the release of 50 million non-native birds in the shape of pheasants and red leg partridge.
They are ,however, quite happy for us to put up with 40,000 inland cormorants (that really should not be here) predating freshwater fish, even though native wildlife is suffering because of the loss of those fish.
How can we make the non-angling public see the hypocrisy in this? The BBC have undoubtedly got a massive hit on their hands with Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing, and yet will do nothing to educate the public how predation is affecting freshwater fish stocks.
A few weeks ago Farming Today on Radio 4 had a week of fishing related articles. One day they had a representative from the Angling Trust claiming that fish do not feel pain. The next day they had a professor from Liverpool University claiming that after many years of research, she had concluded that fish do feel pain, (mostly because of pressure). There was nothing all week about low fish stocks or the loss of jobs in the countryside associated with this. Farming Today should have concentrated on this, but instead had an anti-angling stance.
Some years ago, the German Green Party put forward a suggestion that all fish caught on hooks should be killed instantly. Luckily this suggestion was voted against, but you could imagine something similar happening in the UK in the near future.
In the early summer my local BBC news programme was highlighting how wonderful our local nature reserves are. I sent a slightly sarcastic email to them saying they forgot to tell people how the fish stocks have been decimated by cormorants. To my surprise I got an email back from a researcher stating that she knew about the cormorant problem because her husband is an angler, and that they would like to do an article about cormorants in the autumn. She said she would contact me . Still waiting...........
How do we educate the non angling public?

davelumb

Re: RSPB Hypocrisy

Post by davelumb » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:31 pm

I find it strange that the RSPB are moaning about an increase in generalist predators when they usually want to increase predator numbers. For those who aren't aware, this change of direction for them on reared game birds is a twisting of the facts to get round the RSPB's charter which precludes them from opposing shooting directly. There's little doubt in my mind that it's Wild Justice behind it. Packham and Avery are two vocal opponents of shooting who manage to get lots of media coverage.

IMO Martin Salter didn't do a very good job of representing angling on Farming Today and his comments about fish and pain were pretty useless. If I remember rightly the scientist was dragged in following listeners requesting the alternative view. Also the report cited using bee venom was previously criticised by Angling Trust and others IIRC about the amounts of venom used being very high.

Moving on. I'm currently reading about rewilding and making farming more nature friendly and there is a large portion of the conservation lobby opposed to killing anything - even to manage environments. Not least because when they do support lethal control they lose support (income). Not all conservationists think that way, but they don't seem to have much sway.

Educating the general public about any rural issue is nigh on impossible so long as the media are overrun by urbanites.

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Be careful what you wish for re television coverage...... cormorants have not been introduce by anyone, unlike reared birds for shooting. Cormorants have adapted to fish inland because man has raped the sea's of fish that they naturally fished for.

So man is the problem and not the bird.

Regarding the RSPB position I'm not surprise that they have changed there position again on shooting, but they have to keep the members happy who provide the fat cats at the top the funds to create reserves which are "managed" and have become zoo's and bring in a income.

RSPB are no better that any shareholder company.

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Here we go; one more time......................Inland cormorants are nothing to do with overfishing at the coast! Sinensis cormorants are freshwater birds that have only existed in the UK since the 1980s, (confirmed by the British Trust for Ornithology). Some of our own native coastal cormorants have come inland to join them, and there is now interbreeding between the two sub-species, weakening the gene pool of our native bird.
Sinensis (Chinese) cormorants flew to the UK from mainland Europe following a massive population explosion after they were afforded greater protection by the Birds Directive 1979. Some of the first sinensis cormorants to arrive allegedly had rings on their legs showing that they were Dutch.
Cormorants are only inland in the UK because Man was stupid enough to give them protection throughout Europe.