Rutland lures

Discuss general pike fishing topics here.
JohnLucas1316

Rutland lures

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 am

We have not pike fished Rutland for a few years, and when we did we had to use lures of at least 6" in length.
I notice now that smaller lures can be used, and there are clips on youtube of anglers catching a lot of zander on small soft plastics.
Does Rutland now have a much bigger population of zander than it used to? Do Anglian Water hope that some of them will not survive capture, and is this the reason for the change in lure size policy?

Jason Skilton

Re: Rutland lures

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 am

JohnLucas1316 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 am
We have not pike fished Rutland for a few years, and when we did we had to use lures of at least 6" in length.
I notice now that smaller lures can be used, and there are clips on youtube of anglers catching a lot of zander on small soft plastics.
Does Rutland now have a much bigger population of zander than it used to? Do Anglian Water hope that some of them will not survive capture, and is this the reason for the change in lure size policy?
Rutland have a very large zander population. The lure size was reduced after pressure from all round lure anglers. I also believe they managed to get FC back in use.

JohnLucas1316

Re: Rutland lures

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:00 pm

We fished Rutland yesterday for the first time in years. Did some vertical jigging and cast lures all day, but blanked just like in the old days. If anyone is thinking of going to Rutland I would say that a fish finder is essential. (I have not got one). Find a roach shoal and then cast something big and colouful around to try and get an angry strike from a pike.
If, as people say, muskie are 'the fish of a thousand casts', then Rutland pike seem harder to catch than that!