Biomanipulation

Discuss general pike fishing topics here.
JohnLucas1316

Biomanipulation

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:51 am

What is the real reason for the biomanipulation experiment proposed by the Wildlife Trust on the Broads?
I have only fished the|Broads a couple of times, and don't have any great knowledge of the area. From what I understand the W.T want to remove the fish from two Broads, one where fishing is currently allowed and one where fishing is not allowed. The W.T say they will put fish back in after the water has cleared.
What I do not understand is what happens to the fish-eating birds (and otters) that the W.T and R.S.P.B. love so much after the fish have been removed?
What are the local grebe, cormorant, heron, bittern, dab chick, kingfisher otter etc going to eat?
The R.S.P.B. installed fish refuges at its Dungeness reserve to "ensure a continued supply of fish to feed over-wintering birds".
Surely deliberately removing fish from the Broads is the opposite of this. Is this a case pf cruelty to birds? Could this case be used to argue against the experiment?
Is the underlying reason behind the experiment simply to get rid of angling? It is easy to imagine that this experiment, along with protection of inland cormorants nationally is the start of a serious attempt by conservation groups to get rid of angling in the UK for good.

Jason Skilton

Re: Biomanipulation

Post by Jason Skilton » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:39 am

Water quality for abstraction for drinking water is the primary reason.... :roll:

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Is the water used for drinking at the moment, or is this a new use for the Broads? Forgive my ignorance.

Jason Skilton

Post by Jason Skilton » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:18 am

Aloot of fresh water from the Broads are used for drinking water by Essex and Suffolk Water company

JohnLucas1316

Post by JohnLucas1316 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:20 pm

The Wildlife Trust are buying Attenborough nature reserve in Notts from the cement company they have been leasing it from for the last 60 years or so.
I have heard that the first thing they are going to do is close the anglers car park, making access for anglers difficult. It will be interesting to see how long it is before they try to ban angling there.